The below letter has been issued to families in the Mahomet-Seymour school district as of this afternoon. See Friday's Mahomet Citizen for more coverage of how COVID-19 is affecting Mahomet and watch our website at citizen.com for continuing coverage.
March 17, 2020
Hello Bulldog Families,
As you are aware, Governor JB Pritzker ordered the mandatory closing of schools in Illinois, both public and private for the period of time from March 17, 2020, through March 30, 2020. The Mahomet-Seymour Schools are on spring break from March 16-20, 2020.
These school closure days ordered by Governor Pritzker have been classified as “Act of God” days, and as such, are handled in a specific way:
1. Act of God days do NOT NEED TO BE MADE UP AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR.
2. Students cannot be required to complete work or be in attendance on Act of God days. These are not instructional days, and schools are essentially closed down. Students cannot and will not be graded or assessed on any work completed during this time.
3. Employees cannot be required to be at work during Act of God days but will be paid.
Please remember that Act of God days were originally created for situations entirely different than we are currently experiencing with COVID-19--mostly for situations where weather-related closings would extend beyond our usual five (5) emergency days.
We are looking at Act of God days differently than we have in the past due to the unique and severe situation we are facing with COVID-19. That being said, it is our goal to provide a continuation of the education and engagement our students have been receiving since August of 2019. We are committed to helping our students stay engaged during this time period. Therefore, we will be offering a variety of learning opportunities for our students during the mandatory school closure time. This will look different depending upon the grade level of our students. It will be focused on a variety of activities that could include utilizing Chromebooks for 3rd-12th grades. Our PreK-2nd grade students will have other types of learning activities.
Our overall goal, during the Act of God days from March 23-30, is the following:
KEEP KIDS’ MINDS ACTIVELY ENGAGED WITH SCHOOL AND CONNECT WITH TEACHERS
PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY:
Here is what you need to know now about the time period of March 23-30:
1. Starting on Tuesday, March 24, continuing education/engagement activities and school work will be emailed to parents by teachers AND posted on the district’s website at: www.ms.k12.il.us under: COVID-19 Resources
2. If you need a hard copy/paper version of this work, please call or email the building principal and arrange a time for pick up.
3. The work completed by students will not be turned in or graded. The purpose is for our students’ minds to stay actively engaged through this time.
4. If your child has other items at school that you need at home--such as medication, a Chromebook, assistive technology or other equipment, you must call or email the building principal to make arrangements to pick this up on TUESDAY, MARCH 24.
5. The district is providing FREE MEALS (breakfast/lunch) to any child between March 23rd and March 30th. Please fill out this Google Form, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, to request meals and delivery if needed. Your responses are needed to plan for food preparation. ANY CHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 18 OR IN OUR ATLAS PROGRAM IS ELIGIBLE. Children do not need to be students of the Mahomet-Seymour CUSD #3 Schools. Food pick up will be at Lincoln Trail and Middletown Prairie Elementary Schools for all families from 10:00 a.m. to noon. This is a drive up service--on the east side of Middletown Prairie and in parking lot of Lincoln Trail.
Here is the link to the Google form: https://forms.gle/umrJjDGRqmQeHQfb9
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
During the time period from March 23-30, our buildings are not open to the public, guests, visitors or parents, unless PARENTS make arrangements with the administration to pick up items at a specific time.
There will many resources on our website at: www.ms.k12.il.us > COVID-19 Resources--we are busy getting that populated so there is helpful information in one area. Here is some helpful information to share with you now:
DO YOU WANT TO HELP IN SOME WAY?
The numerous offers of help have been wonderful---thank you so much. If you’d like to have an immediate impact in helping our families, here is a link to donate to our
Give Me Five Food program:
If you’d like to donate to Mom’s Pantry, which is our own food pantry located in the CAIR Center at Mahomet-Seymour High School, we will be taking donations this Friday, March 20 from 9 a.m. and from 5-7 p.m. Please bring donations to the CAIR Center during these times.
WE NEED NON PERISHABLE FOOD ITEMS AND HYGIENE PRODUCTS.
WE WILL NOT TAKE DONATIONS OF CLOTHING.
Thank you for your help--it is deeply appreciated!
I will continue to keep you updated as the situation changes and evolves. During the time period from March 23-30, please don’t hesitate to reach out to staff members via email if we can help.
Dr. Lindsey A. Hall
Superintendent of Schools